Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chocolate Cake

Well, hello friends.  I am sorry that I have not posted in a while.  However, I have been busy.  I went out of town for a much needed kid-free weekend and then as soon as I got back, my hubby had to go out of town for 8 days.  Needless to say, baking was the last thing on my mind while I was holding down the fort.

So, I was inspired to bake on the day my hubby was coming home from his business trip.  Who wouldn't want to come home to roast beef and all the trimmings and homemade chocolate cake?

I had high hopes for this cake--maybe too high.  The cake was a chocolate sheet cake, covered with a fudge glaze and then frosted with chocolate buttercream.  Are you in a chocolate coma yet?   The recipe promised the glaze would harden and you would get the crunch with every bite.  Maybe I did something wrong, but my glaze never got crunchy.  Don't get me wrong, the cake was delicious but it did not meet my high expectations.   The cake was also very easy to make--no layers to deal with and you only had to use the mixer for the buttercream icing.

Give it a try and see what you think.



Here is the recipe:

Chocolate Sheet Cake 

For the Cake:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Fudge Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • dash of salt
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
Chocolate Buttercream:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup cocoa
  • 16 oz powdered sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3-5 Tbsp milk

- For The Cake: Combine the sugar, flour and salt; set aside. Over medium heat; bring the butter, water and cocoa to a boil and pour over the flour mixture. With a wooden spoon mix in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour into a greased jellyroll pan and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes (or until cake tests done.) Make sure you prepare the glaze during the last few minutes of baking so you can pour the glaze over the cake while it is hot!



- For the glaze, combine all the ingredients except for the vanilla over medium heat and bring to a boil. Count to about 80-100, take it off the heat and stir in the vanilla until thickened. Pour over the hot cake and let set until glossy and hard. Allow the cake to cool COMPLETELY before you frost - this is key. Top with buttercream frosting after it is cool.

- For the Frosting: Cream butter. Mix cocoa and powdered sugar together. Add to creamed butter and add vanilla. Gradually add your milk one tablespoon at a time until frosting is at desired consistency - it may take an extra tablespoon depending on how you like your frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment